Summer Plans Part II
During the summer of my freshman year, I wrote a post called “Summer Plans Part I” (you can read it here). I wrote a list of 10 things I had planned to complete over the summer, complete with jobs and volunteer work I had outlined. I realized I had never gone back and completed the Part 2 portion of the post as I had intended to, so why not now?
Behold, my Summer 2015 plans, in list form:
- Knock out that MCAT exam! I took the May administration of the 2015 MCAT, and will definitely write more about my experiences (and may or may not be doing a presentation later this semester about it!)
- Submit my primary applications to medical school! I completed this already too! The primary application is kind of like the “Common App” used by high school seniors to apply to colleges across the country.
- Back at my favorite Patient-Family Liaison position for the summer! I’ve been volunteering at the same hospital for the past three summers in college, and have learned so much about patient care from the experience.
- I’m so excited for this new volunteering opportunity at the DuPage Children’s Museum! I love getting to hang out with the children every week!
- Closet dump – This item is definitely a work in progress. I’ve been systematically eliminating all of the course work and extra papers I’ve been collecting since middle school! So, I organize bookshelves and closets in my house whenever I can.
- Secondary essays (*GROAN*) – This is where I’m at right now in the medical school application process. After you send a school the primary application, they could send you back a secondary application that is specific for their school. These applications are usually replete with essay questions (one app I’m working on has 12 ESSAYS!) Oh, and did I mention they have a deadline of about two weeks??
- In times of essay writing and exam prep, I really need a break and enter the real world to remind myself why I want to enter medicine. Shadowing physicians is such a remarkable experience, and I’m so fortunate to be in contact with two doctors that let me observe them at work. I’ve recently started shadowing an internal medicine physician and love my weekly time with her!
- I’ve convinced my family to join a healthplex gym together, and we’ve all been working out at least four times a week. I started visiting CRCE last semester in April, and realized that the exercise did wonders for my psyche and mental health in addition to getting fit. I really want to continue this when I come back to school in the fall.
- During summer break, I try to get as much of my Netflixing in as I can. I binge-watched the entire Parks and Recreation show, and definitely understand why everyone was obsessed with it! I am currently looking for new shows to get through before school starts!
- Have fun! I can’t believe this is my last summer vacation before the end of college! The sad part is that I have to remind myself to have fun with my friends and family. But, as long as it’s on my to-do list, I know it’ll get done!
*This isn’t officially on the list, but I’ve been working on reading more and checking out books from my local library. I got through The Help earlier in the summer and absolutely loved it. I’ll be sure to check out the movie version before the end of the summer!
What’s on your summer to-do lists???