My Top Five Reasons to Become an Illini!
If you’re looking for 200+ reasons to choose Illinois, you are definitely in the right place! I’m going to give you my personal top five reasons to become an Illini, but after that go ahead and take a look at the whole list, which is linked above.
1. 88% of Illini are employed or continuing education within six months of graduation. At Illinois, the goal is not simply to get you to graduation. We want to ensure that you are able to utilize your education in the professional world, too! If you want to see where our alumni are now, feel free to take a look at the Illini Success Report. The report details exactly what our graduates from 2015-2016 are doing.
2. Illinois has the #1 return on investment in the Midwest according to Best Value Schools. While becoming employed or continuing your education is important, so is your return on investment. College is an investment of not only time and money but also of your emotions, hopes, and dreams. While money isn’t everything, it definitely helps to know that investing in an Illinois education is worthwhile.
3. We bring 5,000+ unique employers to campus every year (this includes 39 Global 100 companies, including 6 of the top 10, and 78 Fortune 100 companies, including 8 of the top 10). Investments go both ways, and one way Illinois invests in its students is by hosting several career fairs every year. You’re able to attend one of these events as early as your first semester on campus! Not only that, but we actually hold 16,000+ job interviews on campus every year (that means you might not even have to travel to interview for an internship or a job!).
4. 27% of students participate in study abroad (15th most number of students studying abroad according to Open Doors). Studying abroad is an AMAZING opportunity. If you have any inkling that you’re interested in seeing other parts of the world or gaining a global perspective, I would highly recommend looking into study abroad. We have 400+ programs in 60+ countries (the top five are the UK, France, Spain, Italy, and China). Also, all of our majors can study abroad; it’s definitely not limited to just international business or global studies majors.
5. 1,000+ academic, athletic, cultural, philanthropic, political, religious, and social student groups. If you’re worried that you’re going to have trouble finding your niche on our campus, joining a registered student organization (RSO) is the perfect way to make friends and find your place at Illinois. The picture in the background of the link is Quad Day. It occurs the Sunday before classes start in the fall, and all of our RSOs set up booths in the Quad and the surrounding areas. Here you’re able to figure out which one(s) you’re interested in and get involved before classes have even started!
BONUS: I know I said I was giving the top five reasons, but I couldn’t resist one more! Champaign-Urbana is the 2nd best college town in America according to Business Insider. There are a ton of great things to do on and off campus. Some personal favorites of mine are Jarling’s frozen custard, campus food trucks, and Black Dog BBQ. There’s also live music at Cowboy Monkey and The Accord, Curtis Apple Orchard, Ebertfest, the Art and Virginia theatres, and more!
These are my personal top reasons to come to Illinois, and I’m sure that once you’re an Illini, you’ll come up with your own list!
Also, if you’ve read my blogs before, you’ll notice that they all end with a cat gif. So I wanted to be sure to include my “end of blog cat” … BUT it also happens to our #117 reason to #chooseILLINOIS!