Spring 2018: The Transfer Application Process

Although this semester just started, you may be already thinking about transferring to Illinois next spring. Well, the transfer application is now open for Spring 2018 and you can start filling it out at any time. Let me tell you a little bit about that process!

You can apply to transfer by creating a myIllini account. Within the application, you will select the major to which you want to apply. Some of our programs are not available for the spring semester, so I encourage you to look at our Transfer Open and Closed List. The application will indicate if a program is unavailable once you select it.

The application also includes an essay. The essay is an important factor in your application evaluation. It is your opportunity to tell us more about you as an applicant and why you want to study in that particular program. It will be short (only 300 words!) so take your time and make sure you answer the prompt in full.

You have the option of choosing a second choice major, which can increase your chance of admission because we will then review you for more than one major. Applying to a second choice does not disadvantage you from being admitted to your first choice program; it will just provide us another program to consider you for if you are not admissible to your first choice. If you choose two programs, you will also have to write an essay for your second choice major. Be sure to write another essay and make it specific to that program. Don’t just copy and paste!

After you complete the application by providing your contact and education information, in-progress courses, and activities, you will have a few more steps to be complete. We require you submit college transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. These transcripts must be official and sent directly from the institution. We will also need a copy of your high school transcript or proof of high school completion. If you have more than 30 graded credit hours, we will not use your high school grades in the review, but we still need the transcripts to show that you graduated high school. At the time of application, if you have fewer than 30 graded credit hours, you will also be required to submit ACT or SAT scores.

One last thing—there is an application fee. If you believe you are eligible for a fee waiver, you can discuss it with an academic professional at your current institution and they can submit it for you.

I encourage you to review more information about the transfer process on our website. And as always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Admissions. We would be happy to help!


Leave a Comment

Please note that comments close after 90 days.