Tips for Decision Day
As I’m sure you know, decision release day is coming up for our early action applicants. We had a very talented group of students apply this year for early action, and I think that we’ve started to build an exceptional class.
I wanted to take a little time to give you a few tips for what you should (and should not) be doing on the day that decisions are released.
1. Repeat after me: Do. Not. Panic! Be sure to take a deep breath and keep yourself calm throughout the day. Also, when it comes to actually checking your status in your myIllini account, be patient. Thousands of students are going to be logging into their accounts all at once, so we may encounter some technical difficulties. If you aren’t able to see your decision right away, maybe take a walk around the block, watch a video, and then check back to see if you’re able to get into your account.
2. Additionally, don’t keep clicking refresh since this just slows our servers down. Also, remember that the more people who are in your myIllini account, the slower it will run. So make sure that you are the only one checking your admission decision.
3. It’s also a good idea to attempt to log into your myIllini account before decisions come out in order to ensure that you remember your email, username, and password. That way when the time comes to check your admission decision, you’re able to log in without any problems.
4. Keep in mind that you are able to accept your offer of admission immediately. If you would prefer to hear back from the other institutions that you have applied to, receive your financial aid package, etc., you have until May 1, 2018 to decide where you would like to enroll.
5. Speaking of financial aid, remember that scholarship information will not be included with your admission decision. The majority of merit-based scholarships are awarded within a few weeks after admission decisions are released. All scholarships should be awarded no later than March 1, 2018. For more information, you can contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.
6. Finally, our office will be available by phone for questions regarding your admission decision starting on Monday, December 18. We are open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm CST. In the meantime, if you would like to know more about what your decision means, you can read about it here! Also, please note that we are unable to answer questions regarding admission decisions via email, so you will be directed to call our office for further information.
To finish up, I just wanted to thank all of you for applying to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are very fortunate to have so many qualified applicants apply to our institution each year, and it is our pleasure to work with you and to get to know many of you. We are confident that you are ready to run into the next phase of your life—hopefully here at Illinois!