Changing Majors on Campus

Senior year is tough. Between the college applications, advanced coursework, and multiple extracurricular activities, you have a lot on your plate! It’s hard to know for sure if the major that you listed on your application is really the best fit for you.

When you submitted your application, you likely selected a second-choice major. If this second-choice major is the one you were admitted for, you’re not alone. You also don’t need to worry; whether you were admitted for an alternate major or if your idea of what you want to do has shifted since applying, it’s possible to change your major once you are here on campus. It’s completely okay if you decide to change your mind, and your academic advisor will be the best resource to help you.

So let’s break it down and talk about the ICT, or the Intercollegiate Transfer Process.

How do I change my major once I’m on campus?

Regardless of the college and major you are admitted to, the general rule for all incoming freshmen is that they must stay in the major they have been admitted to for their first two semesters on campus. The process of changing your major can be very different depending on the college and major.

For instance, if the Gies College of Business is the route you want to pursue, you are only able to do so at the end of your freshmen year. On the other hand, if you want to pursue a major in the College of Engineering, it’s a two step process: first gain admission to PREP,or Pre-Engineering, and then declare your major within the College of Engineering.

These are just two examples of the many processes each college has in place for changing majors. Generally, there will be a GPA requirement along with course requirements you’ll need to take to officially change your major. There is more information about the process of changing your major on the Illinois website. Again, your academic advisor will be your best resource to help you decide what major may be the best fit for you and how to go about the process.

Wait—I want to change my major now! What do I do?

Call us first. You can see the Program/Term Change Form on your Admitted Student Checklist, but I highly encourage you to call us first before you complete this form. By completing the Program Change Form, you’re forfeiting your current admission with no guarantee that you’ll be admitted to your new major. I recommend that you speak with one of our admissions counselors first so that we can walk you through the process and discuss what your best options at this time are.

If you need anything at all, we’re here to help! Call us at 217.333.0302 or email us at



Admissions Counselor
I grew up just 30 minutes north of Champaign-Urbana and am a recent graduate of Illinois. As a former Pathway student, I understand the challenges of adapting to life at both a community college as well as a four-year institution. Whatever you're wondering about, I'll help you out!