Can I Change My Major?

“I think I changed my mind on what I want to major in. What do I do?” If you are asking yourself this question, know you are not alone. We are here as a resource to assist you through this process. You may have come to this realization now, or it may happen down the road. Don’t worry! In either scenario, we are here to help.

Can I change my major once I’m on campus?

The general campus rule for all newly admitted freshmen is that you are to stay in the major to which you were admitted for your first two semesters on campus. There is a process in place to assist you in changing your major, called intercollegiate transfer (ICT), but it can look different depending on the college and major.

For example, if you want to pursue any major within The Grainger College of Engineering, it’s a two-step process: First, gain entry into Pre-Engineering, then work toward declaring your major within The Grainger College of Engineering. If you want to ICT to a major within the Gies College of Business, you can only apply to do so during the spring semester of your freshman year. These are just two examples. Like I mentioned earlier, it all depends on the program and college. Typically, there will be a GPA requirement along with certain course requirements that are needed to potentially change majors. It can be a competitive process.

Once here on campus, if you determine you would like to change your major, your academic advisor will be here to assist you and answer any questions you may have about the requirements and process.

What if I want to change my major now before I come to campus in the fall?

If you want to change your major now before you come to campus in the fall, you will first need to call our Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 217-333-0302. Our Admissions Counselors will speak with you about this process and discuss your options. In order to be considered for a new major, you’ll then need to submit our Program Change Form through myIllini. It is very important to note that by submitting the Program Change Form, you are forfeiting your current admission.

If you have other questions related to next steps, please don’t hesitate to email us or call our office. No question is too small!



Senior Associate Director of Recruitment & Outreach, Undergraduate Admissions
I'm here to help high school students and their families navigate the college search process. An Illinois alumnus (LAS ’02), I had the honor to play football for the Orange and Blue.

Add comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.