When most of our classes are online and our social interactions are limited, it is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to stay in our pajamas all day, go to class in bed, and finding yourself desiring to turn on Netflix before getting all your school work done for the day. I’ll be honest, I’ve definitely found myself in that trap this semester too, but I’ve recognized that, when I implement self-care into my routine a little bit each day, I’m that much more productive.
Self-care can look different for everyone but here are a few of my favorite ways to incorporate self-care into my daily routine as well as why I believe they make a difference.
- Make your bed in the morning.
- Every morning, when I wake up and make my bed, it’s automatically one thing I can cross off my to-do list for the day. I’ve found that making my bed decreases my temptation to simply stay in bed all day and get everything done there and I think it could definitely work for you too!
- Get dressed and ready for the day.
- Even on the days when all of my classes are on Zoom and I don’t have any reason to leave my room, getting dressed and ready for the day always makes me feel a little bit more put together. When I feel put together, I’m more likely to be productive.
- Make time for YOU every single day.
- Whether it’s for just 15 minutes or an hour, make time in your daily routine for yourself. Have enough self-discipline to ensure that it doesn’t take over your entire day, but give yourself an allotted amount of time everyday to do what you want to do and take a break from schoolwork.
- Get outside.
- Getting outside every day has made an unbelievable difference in my mental health and my rate of productivity this semester. It’s hard being cooped up inside all day staring at my computer but making time to get outside to go on a walk, eat a meal, or just walk to grab a coffee is almost always a highlight of my day. You can never have too much fresh air!
It’s so important to take care of and prioritize ourselves in this crazy times. Find one way today to put yourself first.